Today, we made a zucchini crust pizza. Because we are stuck in an ice storm, we were looking for a low-cal alternative to one of our favorite comfort foods!
- 3 zucchinis (shredded)
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cups of flour
- 3/4 cups of cheddar cheese
- 3 tsp of basil
- 1 tsp of oregano
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- Preheat the oven to 550*F with a pizza stone already in the oven.
- In a large bowl, toss the zucchini with 1 teaspoon of salt and let sit for 15 minutes. Squeeze the excess moisture out of the zucchini in a paper towel — you might need a couple of them.
- Once all the moisture is gone, add the zucchini back to the large bowl and add the flour, eggs, cheese, basil, oregano, salt, and garlic.
- Using your hands, mix all of the ingredients together to form a “doughy” mixture.
- Place the zucchini mixture onto a piece of parchment paper. Spread the mixture out using your fingers until it is about 1/2″ thick.
- Once shaped, place the crust and the parchment paper on the pizza stone. (Don’t worry, the parchment paper will brown during cooking). Cook the pizza crust for 8 minutes.
- Once the crust starts to brown, take it out of the oven for toppings. Add whatever toppings you want! We added bacon, prosciutto, mushrooms, and onions.
- Place the pizza back into the oven and cook from an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Take out, cool, slice, and enjoy!